The Bank started building domestic branch-network by opening branches in Plovdiv and Kardjali.
- The Annual General Meeting of Shareholders approved of the new Statute of the Bank, which laid down the legal foundation for the Bank to develop as commercial bank pursuant to the provisions of the Commercial Law and the Banks and Lending Act.
- Bank's capital was raised from BGN 320 million to BGN 1.2 billion fully paid-up and divided into 1.2 million shares of BGN 1 000 face value each.
- The Bank moved to its new premises – on 7, Sveta Nedelia Sq., furnished with all required facilities that allow for considerably improved banking services quality.
- The Bank Consolidation Company was founded as a holding company to consolidate the state ownership in the banking sector and to facilitate the privatisation of banks. BCC holded 98% of Bank's share capital.
- BFTB was the first Bulgarian bank to move to SWIFT whereby it significantly strengthened its operational performance and enhanced the reliability of its transactions.
- Bulgarsovinvest was founded as a joint-stock financial company by BFTB and Vnesheconombank. In 1994 Bulgarsovinvest was reincorporated as Corporate Commercial Bank AD.
- Bayerische-Bulgarische Handelsbank GmbH was founded as a joint bank by Bayerische Vereinsbank and BFTB with head office in Munich. In 1998 the bank was reregistered as HypoVereinsbank Bulgaria GmbH.